Broad Street
 Wrington Parish Council
Wrington Website
Local Government
Minutes of a Meeting of Wrington Parish Council

held in the John Locke Room on Wednesday 17 July 2013

Present: Mr D Glynn (Chairman) Mrs D Yamanaka
Mr P Robinson Mrs G Bigg
Mrs P Ledbury Mrs L Howells
Mr B Taylor Mr J Rawlins
Mrs F Burke (Clerk)

In attendance: Philippa Penney (Parish Liaison Officer, NSC), Guy Winterbourne (Wrington tennis club)


1. To receive apologies from Members for non-attendance.
Apologies were received from PC Lloyd Nethercott (holiday).

2. To receive Members’ declarations of interests on known agenda matters and any amendments to the register of interests.

Cllr Howells in relation to her role as Secretary to the Wrington Sports and Social Cub Committee.

3. To confirm and sign as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held 19th June 2013
The minutes were approved and signed as a true record.

4. To adjourn the meeting for Public Participation:
Guy Winterbourne, Wrington Tennis Club, gave a brief statement to the Council about the Tennis Club’s wish to change the hours of public play at the tennis courts.

5. To receive a report from the Police representative (if present).
No police report had been received.

6. To note items of correspondence received and consider any resulting actions (see related agenda items below)

· Letter from John Filmer, Chairman, Wrington Tennis Club, concerning current public tennis court availability arrangements and with a request for these to be changed.

Agenda item 12a was brought forward to be discussed here.

Resolved: To consider this at the next Council meeting and to assess the booking situation over the summer, with bookings to be controlled through the Parish Office in this period.

Guy Winterbourne to write an article advertising the public use of the tennis courts for submission to the September journal, with the Clerk to agree the article prior to submission.

· Letters from Richard Green, Solicitor for Medcentres Group, concerning the Council’s application for a modification to the definitive rights of way map in relation to the old surgery site. This was noted

· Correspondence between Richard Green, Medcentres, and a Station Road resident concerning access rights through old surgery site.

· Letter from Felton Village Hall thanking the Council for their annual grant.
This was noted.

· Request from Kerry Slater to erect a 6x4 shed on plot 21 of the allotments.
Resolved: This was approved.

· Request from Jeffrey Guy to erect a 6x4 shed on plot 15a of the allotments.
Resolved: This was approved.

· Email from Avon & Somerset Police concerning nominations for the Neighbourhood Policing Awards. This was noted.

7. To receive the Clerk’s report.
This was received.

Cllr Howells reported that a resident had asked about the possibility of introducing HGV weight restrictions on the Wrington access roads. It was agreed to refer this to the Highways Group for consideration.

8. To receive the Finance Report, including payments recommended for approval.

Copies of reports provided separately.

SSE Contracting Ltd – street light maintenance 1st quarter 2013/14 £766.19
Ken Richardson – Internal Audit 2012/13 £183.75
North Somerset Council – Dog Bin emptying, June £124.80
ITEC – photocopier, 1st quarter 2013/14 £16.87
Jayne Hitchborn – cleaning of Broad Street toilets, June (Paid) £200.00
Greenslade Taylor Hunt –Rent for the Glebe Field, 1st quarter (Paid) £100.00
Information Commissioner’s Office – renewal of Data Controller’s register
required by Data Protection Act (Paid) £35.00
STS Limited – advance to purchase Play bark for Church walk play area
(quote of £1,120 previously agreed in 19.6.13 meeting) £800.00
HMRC – PAYE Tax & NI, 1st quarter 2013/14 – to be calculated
Village Orderly’s salary July – to be calculated
Clerk’s salary July – to be calculated
Assistant Clerk’s salary July – to be calculated
Assistant Clerk – reimbursement for purchases made:- portable hard drive for computer back-ups (£42.25), laminating pouches (£18.07), adjustable hole punch
(£54.80), 5 x lever arch files (£16.95) and Twinlock Crown C Binder (£69.58) £201.65
Petty Cash:- stamps £6.00

Resolved: To approve the payments as proposed. Cllr Taylor proposed approval and Cllr Bigg seconded the motion.

The frequency with which dog bins are being emptied by the new contractor (Glendale) was questioned. This followed a report that some of the bins around the village are full and didn’t appear to have been emptied once a week, as contracted.

Philippa Penney, NSC Parish Liaison Officer, reported that she would investigate this issue and inform the Clerk of the current situation.

9. To receive and consider reports from:

a. District Councillor, Cllr Yamanaka
This was received.

Mid Rural Youth Network – Cllr Yamanaka reported that she would contact Goblin Combe Environment Centre to ask them to keep the Council informed of any developments with this.

b. WVMP report, Cllr Robinson
The report was received.

Cllr Robinson reported that there will be a HOSP meeting on 25th July where a parish resident would be raising the issue of the hours available at in the Wrington branch surgery.

It was agreed that Cllr Bigg might attend the Central Area Parish Voice meeting on the 8th August to question NSC procedure concerning the assessment of applications under the Community Right to Bid and to request an explanation of why the submission from Wrington Parish Council was refused.

c. Sports & Social Club, Cllr Howells.
The report was received.

Cllr Howells reported that the Club have proposed a meeting with the Council to discuss the possibility of development or an extension to the Pavilion. It was agreed that Cllr Howells would circulate some possible dates for a meeting.

d. Twinning Association, Cllr Rawlins
Minutes of the last meeting had been circulated previously.

10. To receive and consider reports from Council Working Groups:

a. Finance, Cllr Rawlins. This was received.

b. Environment, Cllr Bigg. No report had been received.
Cllr Bigg reported that a number of residents had left their contact details with her at the Village Fete whilst running the Community Resilience stand. Cllr Bigg would circulate possible dates for an Environment Group meeting.

c. Highways, Cllr Ledbury.
Cllr Ledbury would circulate dates for the next Highways meeting shortly.

11. To consider and approve the following recommendations from Working Groups:
To agree that the Parish Trust income received should continue to be shared between the Memorial Hall and Redhill Village Hall, with the current arrangement being that the Memorial Hall receives 75% of this income and Redhill Village Hall receives 25%.
Resolved: To agree to this recommendation.

It was agreed that the Clerk would ask Redhill Village Hall for a copy of their accounts for auditing purposes on the basis that the Council provides the annual grant in addition to the regular Parish Trust income.

12. To note the proposal received from the Wrington Tennis Club for a change to the times available for public use of the tennis courts at the Recreation Field. To discuss the impact this may have on the public and to consider what if any revisions should be made to the times for public access.

This had been discussed earlier in the meeting under correspondence.

13. To discuss the on-going issue of dog mess on the Recreation Field as reported through the Hall Committee and to consider any practical solutions to this problem.

The idea of a Community group to be set up to monitor this issue was discussed. It was agreed that the Clerk should include this in the Council’s next journal article asking for volunteers.

14. To acknowledge the decision taken by the Planning Committee on behalf of the Council to submit an application for a modification to the definitive rights of way map in relation to the route through the old surgery site from Station Road to The Glebe, with this recorded in the minutes for the meeting held 29 January 2013, and, for the avoidance of doubt, to confirm that the decision to submit this application was and is supported and approved by the Council.
This was noted.

15. To note WPD’s intention to replace overhead power supply cables in High Street with a new single insulated cable with the related work requiring closure of High Street on Saturday 20 July 2013. Also, to note that this work is likely to result in a number of street lights being switched off until alternative photocell switching arrangements can be provided, with resulting and as yet undefined cost implications for the Council.
This was noted.

16. Consultations

· NALC consultation: ‘A New Future: developing the Strategy’. Closing date 30th August. This was noted.

· DEFRA: ‘Securing the future of flood insurance’. Closing date 8th August.
Cllr Robinson agreed to look at this.

17. Items raised by Members for information and for possible consideration at the next meeting to be held Wednesday 18th September 2013. Note that there is no Parish Council meeting scheduled for August.

· Cllr Bigg reported that the Healthwatch AGM will be held on 10th September, 2013.

There being no other business the meeting was closed at 9.15pm.