Broad Street Wrington
Minutes of a Meeting of Wrington Parish Council held in the John Locke room on
                Tuesday, 19th June, 2007

Ms E P Irving
Mrs J Gallop
Mr M Berkley
Mrs G J Bigg
Mr P Ellis
Mr D W Glynn
Mrs S.L Dunn Morua
Mr G A Matthews,
Mrs G Moss
Mrs C A Phillips,
Mr R L Thorn
Mrs D J Yamanaka
Mr T W Yearsley

In attendance: P.C. K Tacchi - Community Police Officer
Apologies: Mrs P. Ledbury, Ms J Erskine - North Somerset Council Liaison Officer                                
The Chairwoman opened the Meeting at 19.30 hours.

Declaration of Members Interests – Cllr. Irving declared an interest in the matter relating to Vine Counselling Services which was being dealt with under “Finance report”.

The Minutes of the Meeting held on 18th May were adopted with the following amendments:-

1) - p7- Brook House for Lynn read Glynn.

2) - p5-heading BIA- final Para replace the wording”….” With Cllr. Bigg in her role with CPRE has been attending the examination in public of the regional Spatial Strategy. It is a 3-month examination in public with the Inspector’s report being available in October.

Public Participation- one member in attendance

Clerk’s Report.

1) Standards Committee- Minutes of the Meeting held 28th March. Also election for the two Town and Parish Council representatives from the 8 names put forward. The Council discussed this in some depth and the decision was taken to nominate Messrs Ambrose and Horry for the positions.

2) Meetings- a letter received from Cllr. David Shopland, Chairman of NSC, who would like to attend a Council meeting. The Council left it that the Clerk would submit a selection of dates for consideration.

3) Publications- Forest of Avon annual review to March 2007, Fieldwork, NSC guide to fees and charges, Municipal calendar 2007/08, NS Partnership Stakeholder Bulletin 5, Local Council Update June edition and NS Life June edition.

4) Go for Life Day 3rd July being organised by NSC and they are looking for Council’s to organise a 30 minute activity based on a theme “What’s your 30”. The view was taken that it was too short notice to get it organised.

Highways Matters

1) – May edition of Streetscene received.

2) -Footpath High Street to Yeomans Orchard. Clerk has received quotation for repair work in the sum of £470.00 + VAT. This is a longstanding issue and one which NSC has not responded to despite constant badgering. The Clerk was directed to write to the residents within the immediate area to ascertain whether they would be prepared to contribute to the cost of repair in view of the ongoing issues over ownership of the strip of land. It was proposed by Cllr. Matthews and seconded by Cllr. Glynn that the work be put in hand and that the Clerk writes to the residents as directed.

3) Speedwatch- The Clerk advised that a plea for volunteers had again be placed in the Wrington Journal- to date there are 3-4 names towards the 6 needed to get the scheme off the ground. PC Tacchi will approach a resident of Downside who is on the Backwell scheme to see if he would double up.

4) Cllr. Glynn raised the issue of shared space which is being promoted by Phil Parker, who wishes to make another presentation to the Council at a separate meeting. The Council agreed to this meeting and Cllr. Glynn to take forward.

5) Metal bench at Branch’s Cross in need of repainting- Clerk to take forward.

6) Question was raised whether the Council could press for a ghost pavement at the new industrial units at Havyatt Business Park. After some discussion it was agreed that as the park is in private ownership then it is up to the tenants to take up this issue.

Police – PC Tacchi presented his report covering the period 12th May to 15th June and for which there were 10 recorded crimes. Some action has been taken over the graffiti incident at the skateboard park and one juvenile being interviewed.

PC Tacchi also introduced PCSO Yvette Jordan who has been attached to the Congresbury/Wrington beat.

Cllr. Glynn asked whether the PCSO would be responsible for traffic offences within the Parish and this was confirmed pending NSC taking over the car parking issues.

Lighting- Clerk advised that still waiting to hear from SEC on the cost of replacement lights.

FINANCE REPORT 19th June, 2007
ACCOUNTS FOR APPROVAL PERIOD to 12th June (11 weeks)

Archant (Advert.)
Information Commissioner (data control act)
PCAA (subs)
BT (phone)
DG Maintenance (repairs play area)
Holmleigh Security (alarm service)
Western Newspapers Ltd (advert)
T Yearsley
Norris Fisher Insce (Hall insce.)
Streetmaster Products (Mem. Hall)
Bank Balances
Business reserve
Current Account
Capital reserve


VAT Recovered



Sub Total
73250 37994.00
Open Spaces
Street Lighting
Admin Expenses
Sub Total
73,250 16,789.42
Mobile Youth
Public Conveniences
Parish Plan
Section 137
Odds and sods




VAT refund applied for in the sum of £13334.05- ongoing dialogue.

Payment made on behalf of the Memorial Hall & recreation Field Committee.
Streetmaster Products £828.00 + VAT

Vine Counselling Services request for a grant/donation –it was proposed by Cllr. Gallop and seconded by Cllr. Phillips that the Council should continue its existing policy of turning aside such requests on the grounds that it would be difficult to support all requests received.

Memorial – request for alcohol. Nil

Bristol International Airport – The Clerk has received the minutes of the BIA Consultative Committee meeting of 25th April and this will be circulated.

It was also agreed that the new MD at BIA, Paul Kehoe, should be invited to come and speak at a PC meeting.

PCAA- The clerk mentioned that the next meeting was scheduled for 26th June and that as Cllr. Yamanaka has relinquished the role as the PC representative on this committee a replacement was being sought. Cllr. Yamanaka explained that she has relinquished the role as the PCAA is seen as a pressure group and it could therefore preclude her voting on any BIA matters at NSC. Cllr. Matthews agreed to attend the next meeting as the PC representative.

ALCA – The Clerk reported on the contents of the ALCA newsletter June edition. For new councillors he again gave details of available training courses.

Cllr. Bigg made mention of an interesting speaker at the NS ALCA group meeting covering “Children’s services” and that it may be appropriate for the PC to invite along at some future meeting.

Parish Plan- a meeting to be arranged to move the matter forward.

Patient Practice Partnership. Report from Cllr. Thorn

Since the last parish council meeting I have attended one meeting of the Patient Practice Partnership (PPP), and one of the Rurals Working Party of the Primary Care Trust (PCT).

The PPP steering group on 24th May planned our first AGM since the inaugural meeting last year. It will be at Wrington Surgery on Wednesday 18th July, 8pm. Given how unsexy the AGM of virtually any organisation is, it is anticipated attendance in the main will consist of members of our PPP wider consultation network.

Our first open evening meeting of the new season, on Thursday 6th September, will tackle the whole issue of patients' medical records and the NHS programme for IT including the proposal to upload patient records onto a national NHS database. We imagine, in contrast to the AGM, this may well attract as many as came to the out-of-hours meeting a couple of years ago.

It is not generally known, but worth noting that Dr Charles Tricks has gone part-time, and this is causing severe administrative problems as a proportion of his caseload will of necessity be shifted to other doctors in the practice. His hours are being replaced by another - it is simply a matter of his personal restricted availability.

The PCT rurals group met on 31st May. The practices based at Winscombe & Sandford, and Yatton & Congresbury are both setting up their own PPPs, which will strengthen the voice of patients in making their views known to the PCT.

I previously reported that the PCT are conducting a survey of premises suitable for a range of medical purposes in the rural areas to accommodate services which are due to be relocated away from Weston Hospital and “nearer to patients”. We asked the PCT to produce a definitive list of such services. We also chastised the PCT for their grossly inaccurate “First Draft Facilities Survey” of existing practice facilities, which contained very little accurate information. I have now received an apologia relating to questions raised from Roger Paynter, PCT associate director, who attended the meeting.

In the light of the general rural problem of travel to and from surgeries and hospitals, the PCT see their need for a database of existing voluntary services, such as community minibuses and Helpline-type groups of drivers. Georgie Bigg pointed out to them that such a database had been created by Voluntary Action North Somerset.

Consultations- nil this month.

Working Groups – their role in the running of the Council.

The Chairwoman explained that she wished to have a meeting to discuss the paper that Cllr. Matthews had issued and the response from Cllr. Glynn. After some discussion it was agreed that a meeting would be held on 10th July commencing at 7.30 (immediately after the Planning Meeting) to take forward.


The Council agreed to the contents of the paper issued by Cllr. Thorn pre-meeting and adopted the procedures with Cllr. Thorn being the editor. Proposed by Cllr. Matthews and seconded by Cllr. Gallop. Passed.

Meeting Dates

After some discussion the consensus of opinion was that full Council meetings should be held on the 3rd Wednesday of each month instead of the current system with effect from the August meeting. Proposed by Cllr. Matthews and seconded by Cllr. Phillips. Planning meetings to continue as at present. The Clerk to produce a list of meeting dates and circulate.

Model Code of Conduct & Standing Orders- it was agreed that this should be left until the next meeting. The Clerk gave out dates of seminars being organised by NSC on the new Code of Conduct.

Update re appointment of new Clerk

5 applications received plus one late application – the Clerk is to obtain details but advise this latter applicant that the request would only be taken forward of the current list deemed unsuitable. The interviewing panel to be Cllrs. Irving, Matthews, Glynn, Gallop and Morua. Councillors to be advised of the names of those short listed for interview.

Village of the Year competition

Cllr. Irving indicated that Wrington may go forward to the National competition this year and that this would involve a heavy work load. It as suggested that outside support may be needed and in the first instance it was left that Cllr. Irving would approach Jeremy Birkett.

Councillor’s co-option

The Clerk advised that he had placed notices in the Redhill and Downside area and also the Wrington Journal and the Newsletter in Downside to try and attract volunteers. No response to date.

Peter Ellis who had applied for the South-west ward has agreed to stand for the North-East ward and a proposal was made by Cllr. Matthews and seconded by Cllr. Berkley that Mr. Ellis be asked to fill one of the 4 vacancies. Passed. Mr. Ellis was welcomed to the Council.

District Councillor’s Report -

North Somerset Life

We have discussed the distribution of NS Life previously, and were told that it was delivered in the same areas as the Clevedon Mercury. This was said to mean that any road without a pavement was left out. I have now had a letter to say that all areas are supposed to receive a copy. Please let me know if you do not receive it. I have also put this in the Journal.

Dragon Flyer

David Glynn and I attended a North Somerset Partnership Transport Symposium in May. I will leave David to report on other matters, but one interesting point I discovered is that Richard Whittington of Community Action is trying to set up a 6 month pilot scheme for community transport to connect various villages to the airport. This will enable more residents to join the Dragonflyer project and use the Flyer to travel to Bristol.

Parish Councils Airport Association

Some of you are already aware of this - unfortunately I am going to stand down from being WPC's rep on the PCAA. I have taken advice from Malcolm Nicholson, NSC's solicitor and it would be a good idea if another person represents the PC on the PCAA. The PCAA is perceived as being mainly a lobbying group, and certainly when NSC was discussing BIA's Master Plan there was no ambiguity in the case which Hilary Burn made at each meeting. She urged NSC to reject the Master Plan each time. So if I were to be a member then at each NSC meeting when BIA's planning applications were discussed I would have to declare an interest and probably not be allowed to vote. Or if I did vote then BIA could quote this as predetermination at any appeal against refusal.

Sandford Stone site

Last week I went to a site inspection and South Area Forum at the old Sandford Stone site. The site has been in the hands of the receivers for 3 years. St Monica’s Trust has put in a planning application for a 90-bed care unit, 95 very sheltered housing/ extra care units with community facilities and 6 affordable housing units. The whole area would cover 12 acres and extend outside the Sandford Stone site and outside the village fence. It is therefore against the policies in the Local Plan, and is one reason why the proposal is controversial locally.

The scale of the development is also objected to by some, since the new residents would increase Sandford’s population by 30%. The application will be decided at the July South Area meeting.

I did not realise that St Monica’s Trust was started in Wrington by the Wills family.

Open Forum

1) Transition Town presentation at the Memorial Hall on 2nd July. The question was raise as to whether the PC was going to comment. Cllr. Thorn expressed the view that Mr. Neve who is driving this forward should come to the PC and put his proposals.

2) Sustain 10th anniversary- they wish to plant some trees and would welcome suggestions.

3) Wrington Memorial Hall & Recreation Field Committee- Mr. Cowgill due to pressure of work has had to resign and the Drama Club had put forward Mr. Peter Ellis as his replacement. Proposed by Cllr. Bigg and seconded by Cllr. Gallop that this be accepted. Passed.

There being no other business the meeting was declared closed at 21.45 hours.

Ms E P Irving